In today's news: it’s cold. Silly Canada.
I think part of me was hoping that we’d be blessed with a mild winter, but by the look of tomorrows -16° forecast, I think I best be bundling up. I’m almost certain my body is climatized for an entirely different country. Like one that lies directly on the equator. My hands and feet are like blocks of ice all winter long. I recently recruited my Grandma’s heating blanket, which is now my most favourite thing ever. Between this, my heated magic bean bag and my beloved West Elm throw, my fashionability this season is zero. But if there is one thing I can do right in winter it’s a hot n’ cozy dinner.
Enter this yummy dish: Roasted Sweet Potato & Beet Salad with Toasted Maple Pecans. We whipped this up for dinner over the weekend and it warmed our chilly little hearts. This recipe was actually a part of our original “eat clean in 2014 challenge” a year ago. I love rediscovering old favourites!
Sweet potatoes are one of my favourite things. And roasting them with a bit of cinnamon, olive oil, salt and pepper just takes them to an all new level. Trust.
But the real star of this dish are these toasted maple pecans. These are so easy to make. I highly recommend toasting up a double batch for a delicious snack later on!
Add the simplicity and freshness of the lemon vinaigrette and BAM. You’ve got yourself a heart-warming dish capable of brightening up even the coldest of winter nights.
You can add whatever protein you have on hand. Grilled chicken, steak or even a few spoonfuls of lentils. The world is your oyster. Please note I did modify this recipe very slightly from the original in That Clean Life. Both versions produce an equally delicious and nutritious result!
This salad is....
To add this recipe to your meal plan, or to a meal plan for a client, click here.
Roasted Sweet Potato & Beet Salad with Toasted Maple Pecans
Makes: 2 servings // Time: 60 minutes
- 2 servings of protein of choice (chicken, steak, lentils)
- 1 beet (sliced into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 sweet potato (sliced into 1 inch cubes)
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper ( to taste)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Toss sweet potato and beet with 1 tbsp olive oil, ½ tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp cinnamon and season with sea salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 40 minutes or until slightly browned.
- In the mean time, make the dressing by combining equal amount of oil and lemon juice (1 tbsp of each) and set aside.
- Mix up your maple toasted pecans. Place pecans in a frying pan over medium heat and stir until toasted. Add 1 tbsp of maple syrup and 1 tsp cinnamon. Stir until pecans are well coated. Continue to stir until pecans become very sticky. Remove from heat and spread across a piece of wax paper. Break apart into pieces when dry.
- Toss spinach in lemon vinaigrette and put a handful on each plate. Top with roasted beets and sweet potatoes. Garnish with avocado and maple pecans. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram with @thatcleanlife and #thatcleanlife! We'll feature our favs.
That Clean Life gives you everything you need to meal plan for yourself or your clients. To learn more and add this meal to your plan, or to a plan for a client, click here.
Other Recipes You Might Like: