Today we’re sharing one of my favourite recipes from That Clean Life. Yup, Crockpot Burrito Soup. It’s the very first TCL crockpot recipe and does not disappoint. It’s easy to prep, yields 6 servings and is oh, so very, very good.
For a brown rice alternative, I find an equal substitution of quinoa works really well especially for longer cooking times (like when you want to graze on burrito soup all day with the “keep warm” setting). If you prefer brown rice, I recommend adding it 3 hours before serving.
On to my favourite part. In addition to the suggested topping of salsa and avocado, I highly recommend adding green onions and a dollop of Greek yogurt. For some next-level deliciousness, you can dip with toasted organic bread (I used Dimpflmeier) or blue corn chips for an easy gluten-free alternative (I love Que Pasa). Heck, just host a burrito soup bar at your next party.
I’ll end the torture there. Here’s the recipe. I’m truly, deeply excited for you.
Crockpot Burrito Soup
Time: ~4 hours
- 1 can Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Sweet Onion (diced)
- 1 cup Frozen Corn
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper (diced)
- 2 Jalapeno Pepper (de-seeded and diced)
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup Brown Rice or Quinoa (uncooked)
- 4 cups Kale Leaves (chopped)
- 1 Avocado (peeled and diced)
- 1/4 cup Organic Salsa
- Green Onions, chopped
- Lime Wedges
- Greek Yogurt
- Organic Bread or Organic Tortilla Chips
- Add all ingredients except kale and toppings to slow cooker. Pour in 4 cups of water. Cover and cook on high for at least 4 hours. Cook up to 8 hours, depending on how thick you like your soup. (Note: If using brown rice, it is best to add in 3 hours before serving. If using quinoa, you can add it in at the beginning.)
- About 10 minutes before serving, remove the lid and set kale leaves on top. Cover with lid and let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, stir to mix in kale evenly throughout. Ladle into bowls and top with a spoonful of organic salsa, avocado and any other burrito toppings you love. Enjoy!
Click here to add this recipe to your meal planner