In case you missed the memo, I love, love, looooooove apples this time of year! But even more, I love a hot breakfast this time of year. In the summer, my breakfasts usually consist of something refreshing like a cold bowl of berries with my favourite chia/buckwheat/hemp cereal. Alas, it’s that time of year when it’s dark when I get up for work and dark when I get home and I don’t care who you are, this is sort of depressing. At this time, I just need something that’s going to warm my soul and make me smile from the inside out. Enter my Warm n’ Cozy Apple Quinoa Breakfast Bake.
This is an easy peasy dish that you can make up in advance and throw into a thermos or warm up when ready to eat (preferably in the oven or stove top, of course). While this bowl of goodness is absolutely delicious, let’s talk about why it’s amazing from a nutritional standpoint.
Quinoa makes this dish a complete meal by adding a terrific source of protein.
Cinnamon gives the dish a sweet flavour while stabilizing your blood sugar so you don’t crash an hour later.
Apples are a great source of both vitamin C and fibre to keep you regular.
Pecans provide good dose of iron and magneisum
Coconut oil is a terrific energy source to keep you kicking butt all morning.
Protein, fibre, vitamin C, iron, magnesium, healthy fats, energy, stable blood sugar and deliciousness all in one bowl. What more could you ask for in a breakfast!?
Warm n’ Cozy Apple Quinoa Breakfast Bake
Serves: 2 // Time: 45 minutes
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup quinoa (boxed & canned stuff)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (breakfast stuff)
- ½ tsp cinnamon (seeds, nuts & spices)
- 2 apples, diced with skin (fruits)
- 3 tbsp chopped pecans (seeds, nuts & spices)
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil (condiments & oils)
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a pie plate or small casserole dish with coconut oil. In a mixing bowl, combine water, quinoa, maple syrup, cinnamon and apples. Pour into a pie plate and cover with foil. Cook for 35 minutes (or until water is absorbed) and remove from oven.
- In a small bowl, mix the melted coconut oil with pecans and sprinkle with cinnamon. Mix until evenly coated.
Divide the apple/quinoa bake into two ramekins and top with the pecan mixture. Enjoy it while it’s hot!