Nothing beats a warm gooey bowl of oatmeal with your favourite toppings on a chilly winter's day. Here's how to spruce up breakfast time so everyone can dig in and customize their own oatmeal bowls. From toasted shredded coconut to dollops of creamy almond butter, we've got over 20 oatmeal topping ideas for you to surprise your kids or oatmeal-loving besties with.
This idea was inspired by one of our members who truly impressed her little girls with a make-your-own oatmeal setup one morning. So we got the kids on board but really, this fun DIY oatmeal station will get anyone excited.
What You Need:
- Large batch of oatmeal*
- Your choice of toppings (see below)
- Serving tray or cutting board
- Small bowls for ingredients
- Bowls or large mugs for serving
- Hungry friends or family members
*Steel cut oats or overnight oats also work. For larger parties, try oatmeal in the crockpot.
- Fresh fruit: banana, apple, pear, peaches, assorted berries, etc.
- Dried fruit: raisins, dried cranberries, chopped dates, dried figs, banana chips.
- To sprinkle/drizzle: hemp hearts, toasted shredded coconut, coconut chips, quinoa, flax, honey, maple syrup, cocoa powder, cinnamon, date syrup.
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Other: chocolate chips, any nut or seed butter, candied ginger slices, strawberry chia jam.
Our Favourite Oatmeal Combos:
- Strawberry + Shredded Coconut
- Chocolate Chip + Almond Butter + Banana
- Apple + Walnut + Honey (inspired by these overnight oats)
- Banana + Peanut Butter + Strawberry Chia Jam
- Blueberry + Almond + Cinnamon (inspired by these overnight oats)
How do you enjoy your oatmeal and what are your favourite topping combinations? Don't forget to share your creations with us using #thatcleanlife!