Rhubarb season is officially underway in the northern hemisphere! If you aren’t familiar, rhubarb is a common garden vegetable, although it is usually combined with fruits for dessert dishes. It is widely known for its sour taste and thick celery-like stalks.
Nutritional Benefits of Rhubarb
Rhubarb contains Vitamin K, an important nutrient that plays a role in blood clotting, bone and heart health. It is also high in fiber, which is important for our digestion.
Where to Buy And How to Store Rhubarb
When it's in season, you can usually find fresh rhubarb at your local farmers market or grocery store. When buying rhubarb, look for crisp, strong stalks. The color can vary depending on whether the rhubarb was grown in a greenhouse or outdoors.
Rhubarb can be stored in a plastic bag and refrigerated in your crisper for three to five days. You can also freeze rhubarb by cleaning, slicing and storing it in a sealed container in your freezer for up to one year.
How to Enjoy Rhubarb
Wondering how to use rhubarb on your meal plan? We've got you covered with this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Parfait. Here's the recipe:
Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Parfait
Time: 4 hours
- 2/3 cup Chia Seeds
- 2 cups Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1 tbsp Raw Honey
- 2 cups Rhubarb (diced)
- 3 cups Strawberries (diced)
- Combine the chia seeds, almond milk, and honey together in a bowl and mix well until all clumps are dissolved. Cover and let sit in the fridge for 4 hours or until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Place the rhubarb and strawberries together in a glass baking dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To make parfaits, add two spoonfuls of the chia seed pudding and strawberry rhubarb mix into jars. Repeat to create layers. Enjoy!
Click here to add this Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Parfait to your That Clean Life meal plan.
More Rhubarb Recipes To Add to Your Meal Plan
Looking for more rhubarb-infused dishes? Be sure to log in to That Clean Life and search for "rhubarb" to find delicious rhubarb recipes to add to your meal plan. Here are a few of our favorites:
Click here to add this Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp to your That Clean Life Meal Plan.
Click here to add this Strawberry Rhubarb With Banana Cashew Cream to your That Clean Life Meal Plan.
Click here to add this Baked Strawberry Rhubarb Oatmeal to your That Clean Life Meal Plan.
What's your favorite way to use rhubarb? Let us know in the comments below!
Did you love this article? Then you will love our weekly newsletter stuffed with meal planning tips, tricks, recipes, and inspiration that will keep you motivated, organized and feeling awesome. Get on the list here!
More Meal Planning Inspiration: