Every once and a while, we get stuck on a breakfast at the That Clean Life HQ. We really love it and have to eat it day after day. Now, we know this goes against the conventional wisdom that tells us to, "eat a variety of foods and colors!", but breakfast is a good meal to stick to some old faithfuls. Why? It simplifies your morning, helps you to save time and money and ensures you are getting a good balance of nutrients.
The breakfast we've been loving lately? Avocado Toast with a Poached Egg.
This breakfast is...
- Low glycemic
- Nightshade free
We love this breakfast because it has a perfect balance of protein, healthy fats and carbs. It keeps us energized and is delicious and enjoyable to eat. Your clients are going to have a new favorite in this breakfast!
Click here to add this recipe to your client’s meal plan.
Avocado Toast with a Poached Egg
Time: 15 minutes
- 1 slice of organic bread (we like Dimpflmeier or Silver Hills Bakery)
- 1/2 an avocado
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- Toast bread.
- Cut avocado in half, remove the pit and cut into fine slices. Layer avocado on the toast, mash with a fork and season with a bit of sea salt and black pepper.
- Crack your egg into a bowl.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil on your stovetop. Add sea salt and vinegar. Begin stirring your water with a spoon to create a whirlpool. Carefully add your egg into the whirlpool. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes then use a slotted spoon to carefully remove from the poached egg onto a plate lined with paper towel to soak up the excess liquid.
- Transfer the egg to the top of your toast and season again with sea salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Tips on Cooking the Most Perfect Poached Egg
- Use fresh eggs at room temperature for best results.
- Add vinegar. Although optional, this helps the protein in the egg white coagulate and stick together.
- Add salt. This gives your poached egg some added flavour.
- Use a smaller saucepan. Cover with a lid to bring it to a boil faster.
Did you love this article? Then you will love our weekly newsletter. Every week we curate the best tools, tips, and resources for nutrition professionals and deliver them straight to your inbox. Get on the list here!
Other Articles You Might Like: