Every once and a while, I get stuck on a breakfast I really love and I eat it day after day. Now, I know this goes against the conventional wisdom that tells us to, "eat a variety of foods and colours!", but breakfast is a good meal to stick to some old faithfuls. Why? It simplifies your morning, helps you to save time and money and ensures you are getting a good balance of nutrients.
The breakfast I've been loving lately? Avocado Toast with a Poached Egg.
I love this breakfast because it has a perfect balance of protein, healthy fats and carbs. It keeps me energized and satiated but is still delicious and enjoyable to eat.
Avocado Toast with a Poached Egg
- 1 slice of organic bread (we like Dimpflmeier or Silver Hills Bakery)
- 1/2 an avocado
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- Toast bread.
- Cut avocado in half, remove the pit and cut into fine slices. Layer avocado on the toast, mash with a fork and season with a bit of sea salt and black pepper.
- Crack your egg into a bowl.
- Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil on your stovetop. Add sea salt and vinegar. Begin stirring your water with a spoon to create a whirlpool. Carefully add your egg into the whirlpool. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes then use a slotted spoon to carefully remove from the poached egg onto a plate lined with paper towel to soak up the excess liquid.
- Transfer the egg to the top of your toast and season again with sea salt and pepper. Enjoy!
Tips on Cooking the Most Perfect Poached Egg
Add Avocado Toast with a Poached Egg to your meal plan here.
- Use fresh eggs at room temperature for best results.
- Add vinegar. Although optional, this helps the protein in the egg white coagulate and stick together.
- Add salt. This gives your poached egg some added flavour.
- Use a smaller saucepan. Cover with a lid to bring it to a boil faster.