I love clean desserts. These Pecan Pie Squares are deceivingly delicious and they pair perfectly with coffee or tea. The sweetness may confuse the brain into thinking you've made yet another horrible life choice but you'd be wrong again, brain! These squares are super easy to make and delicious without loads of butter and refined sugar.
The recipe only consists of 4 ingredients and makes a versatile gluten-free crust using cashews, coconut flakes and dates. Not only are we sharing the secrets of our popular Pecan Pie Squares today, we're also showing you how to make the most of this clean dessert recipe.
Pecan Pie Squares
Time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups Pitted Dates
- 1.5 cups Cashews (soaked 1 hour and drained)
- 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 2 cups Pecans
Click here to add this recipe to your meal planner
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Create the crust by combining 1 cup of the dates, cashews and coconut flakes together in a food processor. Process until a thick, evenly distributed mixture forms.
- Line a square baking dish with parchment paper. Press the crust mixture down evenly into the dish. Take some time to really pack it in there so the crust doesn't crumble.
- Take the remaining 1 cup dates and finely chop them into pieces. Place chopped dates in a saucepan with 3/4 cup water. Place over medium-low heat and stir continuously until a thick gooey mixture forms. Remove from heat and stir in 1.5 cup of the pecans. Then transfer mix into the baking dish over top of the crust. Press the remaining pecans evenly into the top to make it pretty.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before lifting the parchment paper out of the dish and cutting into squares. Enjoy!
Pecan Pie Tarts
This recipe also works as a clean twist on the classic and beloved pecan butter tart. These tarts are too pretty not to share at your next party especially since they're vegan and gluten-free, not to mention great for little hands. All you need is a mini muffin pan.
- Preheat the oven and make the crust and filling as directed in the original Pecan Pie Square recipe.
- Lightly grease a mini muffin pan with coconut oil or EVOO.
- Press the crust mixture into the muffin pan to create a shell.
- Bake the unfilled shells for 10 minutes.
- Remove crusts from oven and pour in your desired amount of date filling. Press a pecan into the center and continue baking for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Let cool completely before removing from muffin pan.
Dark Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars
If you have a melted-dark-chocolate-on-everything problem like I do, continue reading. A drizzle of chocolate balances out the sweetness of the date filling perfectly and even adds a good crunch. These bars freeze well and are actually amazing when you eat them frozen.
- Make the Pecan Pie Squares according to the original recipe.
- Place a small pot within a larger pot of water and bring to a boil (you don’t need much water).
- Chop dark chocolate and place in the small pot to melt. Stir until melted, then remove from heat.
- Place your pecan pie bars on a baking pan lined with wax or parchment paper.
- Dip your bars into the chocolate or use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over top.
- Return your “dressed” pecan pie bars to the lined pan and place in the freezer for a few minutes to harden.
- Store in airtight container in the freezer.