Being a nutritionist is awesome.
You get to spend your days making the world a healthier, happier place. Your clients appreciate you, your friends think you're smart, and you totally chose the best career ever.
But being a nutritionist comes with some unique social struggles. Here are some problems your friends in other industries just don't have.
1. Every time you tell a new acquaintance what your job is, they tell you everything they ate today.
It's particularly annoying on first dates...
2. No matter where you go or what you’re doing, someone will ask you about carbs.
They're. Just. Carbs.
3. Nothing good has ever come after the phrase “But David Avocado Wolfe said..."
4. People are always asking you for quick and easy nutrition tips.
But only if they're sensationalized.
5. You're a little too comfortable talking about poop.
There is no such thing as TMI when talking BMs.
6. The kids stopped coming to your house on Hallowe’en after you gave out mini boxes of raisins.
Joke's on them because now you have a whole year worth of snacks!
7. “So is [food] good or bad?”
"It's not that simple, it kind of depends..." - Nutrition Science
8. Forget sodium. Reading online nutrition articles is your largest risk factor for hypertension.
Just ignore the headlines, you'll be so much happier.
9. When you’re eating junk food and someone reminds you that you’re a nutritionist…
"Ummm... it's my day off?"
10. Whenever someone has a stomachache you’re armed with probiotics and digestive enzymes.
Your clients have started to call you 'Dr. Feelgood.'
11. You've spent countless hours of your life trying to un-teach people the nutrition "facts" they learned at the gym.
Actually, you don't really need to eat 45 grams of protein within 96 seconds of working out to get the benefit.
12. People think you never eat chips...
... or that you only eat grass.
13. You have a sixth sense and it’s the ability to detect when your clients are leaving key information out of their food journals.
"Don't forget to write down what you ate after dinner."
14. Every time you see the cover of Women's World Magazine you spiral into a fit of rage.
"Lose 36 lbs by Friday with the Magic of Apple Cider Vinegar!"
15. You’re sick of being asked about juice cleanses…
Why would you do that to yourself?
16. But what about detox teas?
They're literally just laxatives.
17. You can’t be in the same room as a TV playing Dr. Oz.
18. You could be the most successful clinician on earth and your family still wouldn't listen to you.
They still refer to you as a 'Nutritionalist.' Whatever that is.
19. If you didn't Instagram it... did you even eat it?
The answer is definitely not.
20. You couldn't imagine doing anything else with your life.
You literally get to talk about food all day, so it's all worth it.
Every week we curate the best tools, ideas, and resources for nutrition professionals and deliver them straight to your inbox. Get on the list here!