In case you didn't know, we are strong proponents of whipped coconut cream. What's not to love about a dairy-free version of fluffy, creamy, decadent goodness? It's light, spreadable and even rather refreshing.
For a little treat, add a dollop to your smoothie, that one-ingredient banana ice cream, muffin, a shoe, anything. Or you can even use it to replace buttercream frosting on a cake.
To do this right, you need to use full fat organic coconut milk. Refrigerating a can overnight helps separate the cream from the coconut liquid. Keep in mind, that cream at the top of the can is what dreams are made of.
There are two ways to extract said amazing cream:
- Carefully keep the can upright as you remove it from the fridge. Scoop out the cream until you hit the juice; OR
- Quickly flip the can upside down after you remove it from the fridge. The coconut cream will now be on the bottom! Pour out the juice and then scoop out the cream at the bottom.
Don't throw out the leftover coconut juice! You can use it in future smoothies (or cocktails) so store it in a mason jar and refrigerate until use.
Then you just whip away with a hand mixer! We prefer it as is but at this point, you may want to sweeten it by adding 2-3 tsp of maple syrup.
Important to note that coconut cream will not be as fluffy as dairy whipped cream. Once whipped, the cream does get a little stiffer and more spreadable after a few hours in the fridge.
Whipped Coconut Cream
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 can Organic Coconut Milk (full fat, refrigerated overnight)
- 1-2 tsp Maple Syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Chill your mixing bowl for about 10 minutes before whipping.
- Scoop out the thickened cream from the can into the mixing bowl, and set aside the remaining coconut juice for other uses.
- Whip the coconut cream with a hand mixer, gradually working up to high speed for approximately 5 minutes. Add maple syrup and vanilla extract midway if you prefer it sweetened.
- Use right away or refrigerate up to 1.5 weeks in an air-tight sealed container.
Did you love this article? Then you will love our weekly newsletter. Every week we curate the best tools, tips, and resources for nutrition professionals and deliver them straight to your inbox. Get on the list here!
Other Articles You Might Like: