Growing up, fried rice was always a real treat. We only had one Chinese restaurant in the small town of Listowel (now we have two!) and takeout was a treat that was reserved for celebrations only.
When I moved to the city, takeout became way more accessible.
Click a few buttons and enter your credit card number - 30 minutes later you have a Chinese food feast arriving at your door. How can something so good be so bad?
One of my favourite things to do in the kitchen is to take a dish that the world loves and figure out a way to make it healthy, and this Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice is one of our biggest wins to-date. THIS, ladies and gentleman, is comfort food at its finest and might I argue, better than Chinese takeout. And faster too! It only takes 30 minutes to whip up usually makes enough for Chris and I to eat over two nights.
We should probably say Spicy Shrimp Fried “Rice” because we’ve swapped out rice for quinoa. We love quinoa for its protein. You could make this dish with brown rice but we opted for quinoa since it takes 1/3 of the time to cook. (Side note: This is still way too long for Gus).
Just kidding. We definitely don't feed the dog Shrimp Fried Rice (even though he begs us to).
This Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice is...
To add this recipe to your meal plan, or to a meal plan for a client, click here.
Spicy Shrimp Fried Rice
Takes: 30 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 lb. shrimp (cooked, peeled and patted dry)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp chilli powder
- sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 5 green onion (chopped)
- Place 1 cup quinoa with 1.5 cups water in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked shrimp with paprika, cayenne, chili powder then add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Toss until well coated. and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat in a wok/large frying pan. Whisk two eggs together in a bowl and scramble in the frying pan until cooked through. Place in a bowl and set aside.
- Place wok back over medium heat. Add 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil to the wok and saute onions, minced garlic and red pepper flakes until onion becomes translucent. Stir in green peas and let warm through.
- Add in shrimp, quinoa, scrambled eggs and tamari. Stir for another minute or until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with chopped green onion. Enjoy!
If you try this recipe, be sure to tag us on Instagram with @thatcleanlife and #thatcleanlife! We'll feature our favs.
That Clean Life gives you everything you need to meal plan for yourself or your clients. To learn more and add this meal to your plan, or to a plan for a client, click here.
Other Recipes You Might Like: