We hear ya. Getting kids to eat healthy can be challenging to say the least. Sometimes it's an unfamiliar flavour, or the mere sight of a new vegetable. Sometimes it's because this food is touching that food, or you had the audacity to serve milk in the red cup instead of the BLUE cup (just because I used the blue cup 997,647 times in a row, doesn't mean I want it EVERY time).
We're not saying we have all the answers. Picky eaters are tough to crack.
But we do know that many of our That Clean Life members swear by 2 things when it comes to a fun, healthy dinner with kids:
- Tortilla pizzas
- Pesto chicken
Fun Finger Food
Tortilla pizzas make the perfect hands-on activity. Kids love being involved, picking their own toppings and getting their hands dirty. And when you pop them in the oven, tortilla pizzas get reeeal crispy which is always a plus. They also only take 10 minutes in the oven, can be gluten-free if you use brown rice tortillas, and are guaranteed to have less fat and sodium than frozen or delivery options!
The Power of Pesto
Anybody else hide ALL their daily servings of veggies in smoothies? Our little one isn't there yet but when your partner has the same eating preferences as a stubborn toddler, you do what you can.
We love using pesto as a way to get those leafy greens in because:
1) They don't look leafy anymore, and
2) You can spread it on all your favourite things!
Pesto freezes really well too, so you can save it for pasta, salads, even mixed in mashed potatoes, or as a marinade for meats, fish or veggies.
What you need for tortilla pizza night:
- Tortillas (brown rice tortillas if gluten-free)
- Shredded chicken
- Your favourite toppings (see list of ideas below)
- Leftovers from the fridge!
- Oven, baking pans, parchment paper
- Helping hands
Some topping ideas:
- Apple slices and brie
- Baby tomatoes, feta and red pepper flakes
- Roasted garlic
- Roasted bell peppers
- Goat cheese
- Just plain pesto chicken - so good on its own!
- Preheat oven to 410 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prepare any of your toppings if needed (roasting, chopping, etc). Mix together pesto and shredded chicken.
- Lay your tortillas on a flat surface and let everyone top their own pizza with pesto chicken and their desired toppings.
- Place on baking sheet and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Slice using a pizza cutter. Enjoy!
Have you ever tried making pizza at home using tortillas? If you're already a fan, we've also got 4 more different recipes for you to check out!