One of the things I look forward to when we have children of our own is creating fun memories around food. (I know, every parent is currently rolling their eyes, if not in response to my naivety then to avert their gaze from the mashed peas currently wedged in their toddler's nostrils.)
Among my favourite food memories from childhood is the ice cream sandwich. Nothing beats the suspense of carefully removing the wrapper so as not to strip off and waste such moist cake. Then, you would strategically eat your ice cream sandwich in a fashion that would cause the least amount of squishing and melting. #Skills
The harsh reality is that the feelings just aren't the same in adulthood. You know the sandwiches are full of unhealthy ingredients, how not fun lactose intolerance is, and that your mom isn't stopping you from eating four of them in a row. (Being grown up is the worst.)
But here's our solution.
We took our famous one-ingredient banana ice cream and wedged it between two soft Double Chocolate Black Bean Cookies. This decadent dessert is actually good for you.
The best part? They're fun to make with kids. Have them add strawberries to the ice cream and watch it turn pink, or let them scoop and press the cookie dough, or coat the ice cream sandwiches with chocolate chips and nuts. Create an awesome food memory that not only instills healthy eating habits but also carries on without the guilt.
Healthy Ice Cream Sandwiches
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 can Black Beans (no salt added, drained and rinsed)
- 1/8 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/8 cup All Natural Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsps Coconut Oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/4 cup Cacao Powder
- 4 tbsps Raw Honey
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 cup Organic Dark Chocolate Chips
- One-Ingredient Banana Ice Cream, frozen in a rectangular container lined with parchment paper to about 1-inch thick
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Measure out 1.5 cups black beans. Combine black beans, almond milk, peanut butter and coconut oil together in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Add in flour, cacao, honey, cinnamon and sea salt. Process again until creamy. Use a rubber spatula to gently stir in the chocolate chips.
- Measure out even amounts of dough onto the cookie sheet (we use 2 tbsp per cookie) and use your hands to form into cookies. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on each cookie and press down gently for good measure. Bake in the oven for 15 (chewy) to 20 minutes (crispy).
- Remove from oven and let cool. Freeze until ready to assemble ice cream sandwiches.
- Using a circle cookie cutter (equal to or smaller than the diameter of your cookie), press into your ice cream for round cut outs.
- Sandwich your ice cream rounds between two cookies and coat with extra chocolate chips, crushed nuts or shredded coconut.
No Cacao - use cocoa powder instead
"Traditional" Chocolate Chip Cookies - replace black beans with kidney beans, and replace cacao powder with coconut flour (total 1/2 cup)
Storage - wrap ice cream sandwiches in parchment paper and store in air-tight container in the freezer