Cake smashes are pretty awesome. We don't deny it. But if you're looking to stray from the traditional cake smash, we've got a super simple solution.
Just make your baby's favourite food!
Chances are they'll be more thrilled to see something familiar and that they've already certified as yummy. And if you've gone the self-feeding route, you know exactly what the clean ups entail (every day's a food smash, am I right?!).
Don't know where to start? Here are some fun, delicious food ideas that are guaranteed to make a beautiful mess.
We celebrated with a saucy household favourite: Slow Cooker Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
Birthday Smash Ideas Using Everyday Foods
A list of creamy, juicy, sticky, slimy, easy-to-stain foods that your baby will actually love eating.
- High Fat Yogurt with Cherries
- Oatmeal with Blackberries
- Sweet Potato Mash
- Pesto Pasta
- Mac n' Cheese (THIS recipe *skip the final baking)
- Cooked Beets
- Banana with Nut/Seed Butter and Chia Jam
- Roasted Veggies in Turmeric Hummus
- Butter Chicken (a cleaned up version)
Still want to incorporate some sort of dessert? We've got you covered with these super yummy, inexpensive, low-sugar and dairy-free solutions.
Cake Smash Alternatives
- Mini Muffins with Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Almond Butter Pudding (this easy recipe)
- Mixed Berries with Yogurt
- Watermelon Cake (here's how to make one)
- Banana Bread with Coconut Cream
- Popsicles (perfect for teething!)
- Pancakes with Cashew Cream
- Mini Cupcakes
- Banana Ice Cream (one ingredient only!)
We made Zucchini Bread into mini muffins, topped with coconut cream and this simple chia jam using frozen berries.
Whatever you choose, we hope you have so much fun celebrating your baby's first year of life, including their love for food! What are your little one's favourite foods to eat?